The City of Leander Fire Department is a values driven organization that is in place to protect lives and property. We take our ability to promote the general welfare of the community very seriously and are proud to serve the community.

Friday, March 6, 2015

Firefighter Friday - Lt. Joe Mayberry

It's Firefighter Friday!  Good Morning Lt. Joe Mayberry!

Joe has been a Career Firefighter for 7 ½ Years for the City Of Leander. I'll let Joe tell you a little about himself.  He went out of his way to answer the questions a little differently.  Read to the end and you even get a recipe!



From Lt. Mayberry:

I wanted to become a firefighter, because I witnessed first hand the impact that they had on the community. My grandfather was very sick towards the end of his life, but he always spoke kindly of the care he received from the firefighters. I also had quite a few friends who became firefighters before me and they absolutely loved what they were doing. Those factors along with a few others played a primary role while choosing a career.

The best thing about being a Leander firefighter is the fact that I don’t know what the day will consist of. I generally have an idea of the duties that need to be completed, but it’s all subject to change. One minute you are assisting with the citizen’s medical needs and the next you are running into a structure fire. No two days are the same. The next reason and probably the most important is the brotherhood. We may argue with one another from time to time and not agree on all facets of life, but when faced with adversity we ALWAYS stand up for one another. We would all risk our lives for each other in an instance, without notice. That’s a special trait and not one typically seen in a job.

My hobbies consist of anything that requires competition. I prefer an activity that clearly defines a winner and a loser. I played baseball and football through high school, followed by 3 years of semi pro football. I've always enjoyed bow hunting and fishing.  I am currently active in Crossfit (LVL 1 coach at Mortal Crossfit in Georgetown) and the Scott Firefighter Combat Challenge. Our Challenge Team is currently sitting 6th in the Nation. Leander FFCC Team is annually competing in the World Finals.

I take so much from  our wins, but even more from our losses. The work required for both results is typically the same, but how you handle defeat often paves the way for your future achievements.  That outlook can be used in all walks of life. Do you shut down in the face of adversity or do you learn from it and come back even stronger?

Favorite quote: “Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.” John F. Kennedy

I’ll end on a lighter note:

My favorite food is any cheat meal, but if I’m throwing caution to the wind I make the guys the Round Rock Burger.  Here's the recipe:

1 Round Rock Donut- (split in half and pan fried in butter for 30 seconds)
Hamburger, cheese and bacon, The bread is your donut…. You're welcome!

Thanks Joe for being our Firefighter of the Week!

No comments:

Post a Comment